Blessed By A Little Old Lady


The Hong Kong Park Aviary – Photograph by Stephen Bay

The Hong Kong park Aviary is definitely worth while a visit. Aside of being situated in a beautiful green space it is a nice activity to add to your overall park experience. 

Despite the lovely settings, I was forced to retreat as it was just too damn cold to stay outside, so I grabbed a coffee and jumped in a taxi to Hollywood Road in Sheung Wan area.

I had run out of bottled water, so before I headed home I made a quick stop at a small local shop around the corner, which is more like a makeshift temporary hut used by an elderly Hong Kongese couple to run their own partially open-air convenience store. I mean, why give the fat cats the money when it's these folk that know the real meaning of earning a HARD living? Even though they don't speak much English they always make an effort to converse with me through random words of Cantonese, English and lots of hand gestures. In their own humble ways, they seem to enjoy my company, and without fail always put a smile on my face every time I see them. 

The lady sold me two bottles of water, and helped me put it into my big laundry bag. She then tried to lift the whole bag herself but couldn't pull the weight, which she was thoroughly entertained by as we shared a laugh with each other about how strong I must be. Once she finished laughing she helped lift the bag onto my shoulder, touched my two bags, touched my shoulder and blessed me by holding her palms together and bowing. She pat me on my back and with a little push sent me on my way. I couldn't help but feel elated, by being blessed by this special, little old lady.

The reality of my Hong Kong journey has sadly been this; the wealthy discriminate against me because of my ethnicity and colour. The poor embrace me as an individual and appreciate my curiosity into their culture. My daily experiences here keep making this divide even more clearer. It's an odd feeling, quite often like a dream. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bad Walkers, Fake Fox Tails And Exercise Parks For The Elderly...

How To Accept Personal Change, Growth & The Person You Are Today

Hero Saved My Night!