Climbing Ladder Street With A Hangover


Ladder Street from close to the top end of this staircase street – Photograph by minalism

I'm hungover. And i'm tired. I've been stuck on the couch all day feeling sorry for myself. And before you say it, I already fully acknowledge responsibility for my actions last night. Was it worth it... hard to say. But hey, it felt like fun at the time, so that is a decent enough justification, right? 

By about 8 pm I decided it was time to go for a walk, so I dragged my self outside to willingly throw myself up Ladder Street, in order to finally return an overdue DVD back to my local rentals. Ladder Street has its own history, being one of Hong Kong's first "ladder streets" of its kind, built by the British in the 1840's, to improve future development of the colony city. At around 350 metres long it ascends the hill from Queen's Road Central, crossing Hollywood Road right by the famous Man Mo Temple, up to Caine Road, taking you into the Mid-Levels. I counted 233 steps on the way down. That was only half the steps as my apartment is half way across Ladder Street it self! MENTAL.

Today, its original granite stone steps have been replaced by steep concrete steps, to the disappointment of local historians. As quoted from a great article I stumbled upon about the history of these grand structures
 "Although they are among the oldest surviving structures in Hong Kong, staircases are vulnerable to abuse, because there is no law protecting their original features from alteration."
It's sad that these staircase treasures have not always been a focal point of conservation in Hong Kong. But as more tourism spreads through the city, they have certainly become memorable landmarks for curious visitors. 



Pottinger Street Central in 1946 – Photograph by Hedda Morrison (restored)



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How To Accept Personal Change, Growth & The Person You Are Today

Bad Walkers, Fake Fox Tails And Exercise Parks For The Elderly...

Hero Saved My Night!